Monday, 24 August 2026

Lights Out For Sparrows!


Book Review: Lights Out


Author: Vibha Batra 

Illustrator: Sahitya Rani (Karadi Tales)

I read the book 'Lights Out' published by Karadi Tales in 2024. This book was selected for Parag Honour List 2024.

The book based on true story is about Karthik and his father who find a sparrow's nest with eggs inside an electrical junction box. If they switch on the street lights, the sparrow and her eggs will be electrocuted. If they keep the lights off, the whole village will be in darkness every night. Karthik is worried for the little bird family. He goes to the villagers and the panchayat and requests them to keep the lights switched off for a few weeks. At first, the villagers are hesitant, but Karthik's kindness and courage finally convince them. They all agree to live in darkness to save the sparrows.

This small story teaches a big lesson - sacrifice, kindness and co-existing with nature.

What I liked? I liked that the story is based on a true incident and gives a big message of kindness in simple words. The illustrations are beautiful and make us feel the darkness.

What I didn't like? The book is very short, only 36 pages. I wanted to read more about what happened after the eggs hatched.

Conclusion: 'Lights Out' is a must-read book that inspires us to protect sparrows and live with nature. I will recommend this book to all my friends.


Apeksha R. Tandel

No comments:

Post a Comment