Date: 22ndAugust 2016
Directorate of Fisheries,
Subject: Collapse of Fisheries Administration in Goa
There is complete collapse of Fisheries administration in Goa for the past one week. It is evident from the following facts from Zuaririver:
1. There is uninterrupted violation of fishing rights in Zuaririver for the past one week. On daily basis there are trawlers carrying on their illegal trawling in Zuari within 5 kms from the shore from Siridao to Odxelfrom August 16, 2016 from 4.00 am to 9.00 am.
2. On August 21, 2016 nearly 70 mini-per seining boats carried on illegal fishing in Zuari.
3. There were no fisheries department boats nor coastal police boats patrolling Zuaririver for past one week to check illegal fishing by mini- per seining and trawlers.
4. Telephonic complaints from the fishermen to fisheries department head office are ignored.
5. Bharat MuktiMorcha has been protesting these kinds of fishing rights violation for past two years but response is evasive especially from Director of Fisheries.
6. Response to telephonic calls to Coastal Police Station at Harbour is poor.
Due to this reason ground situation has turned volatile and urgent war footing steps from your office is needed. We therefore recommend the following to restore fisheries administration in Goa:
1. Immediate stationing of permanent patrol vessel in Zuaririver to check illegal fishing by trawlers and mini- per seining boats.
2. Capture and seizure of trawlers and mini per seining boats responsible for illegal fishing in Zuari.
3. Those trawlers and mini – per seining boats caught fishing in Zuari river be fined with minimum amount of Rs.10,000/-.
4. Those trawlers and mini – per seining boats – with three violations of fishing rights be punished with termination of licenses.
Your failure to act on this matter will result the following:
1. Total collapse of Fisheries Administration in Goa
2. Non-stop violations of 5 kms ban on trawlers and mini-per seining boats
3. Irreversible damage to marine ecology of Zuari river by trawlers
4. Depletion of fish stock due to computerized mini-per seining boats and trawlers.
5. Loss of livelihood to fishermen of Zuari river who pay taxes to the State
6. Increasing anger of fishermen and tense situation for which you will be held responsible.
7. Widespread agitation of fishermen, fish traders and fish consumers across coast of Goa and beyond.
8. Most of the fishermen of this coast are Scheduled Tribes (ST) and OBC. Their caste networks will be activated.
We trust you understand the gravity of the situation and call upon you to act. Your department must be committed and responsible to act in accordance with the given situation as the fishermen undergo tremendous pressure because of your department. With N number of letters to your department your office has failed to act on priority basis to address grievances of traditional fishermen. Their problems have only remained as problems because of your negligence. It is high time that you look into this matter as the traditional fishermen are totally disgusted with your approach towards them. It’s a time to change now. We need your co-operation and change in attitude for better Goa.
1. Chief Minister, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
2. OSD to Deputy Chief Minister, Secretariat, Goa
3. Leader of the Opposition, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
4. Minister of Fisheries, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
5. Minister for Science and Technology, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
6. Director General of Police, Panjim, Goa
7. Superintendent of Police (Coastal Security), Panjim, Goa
8. Chief Secretary, Secretariat, Goa
9. Captain of Ports, Panjim, Goa
10. Secretary (Fisheries), Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
11. Joint Secretary (Home)
12. Collector (North Goa), Panjim
13. Deputy Collector & S.D.O (Tiswadi)
14. M.L.A, Taleigao Constituency
15. M.L.A, Santa Cruz Constituency
16. M.L.A, St. Andre Constituency
17. GoencheaRamponkaranchoEkvott (GRE), Cansaulim, Goa
18. Being Bhahujan c/o AshwinkumarNaik, Raia, Goa
19. Director, ICAR – ICAR Research Complex for Goa, Ela, Old Goa
20. Director, National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa
21. Director, Tribal Research Centre, Baddem, Khotigaon, Canacona, Goa
22. Dr. BabanIngole, Professor& Chief Scientist, Biological Oceanography, NIO, Dona Paula