By Waman Meshram, National President, Bharat Mukti Morcha
People in our Mulnivasi Bhahujan samaj meaning SC, ST, OBC, and ex-CNT, mostly educated people specially those highly educated one think that reservation means alms, beggary and misery. But our Mahapurushas from Mulnivasi Bhahujan samaj achieved reservation with great struggle. For this Phule-Shahu-Periyar-Ambedkar had to struggle for 108 years from 1848 to 1956. But since we got this reservation for free we not realize its importance nor its value. It is like; you not realize the value of air as it available freely. You do not realize the value of sunlight as it is freely available.
The history of our Mahapurusha is the history of supporting reservation and the history of Eurasian Brahmins is the history of opposition to reservation. This means there is a history of heroes and villains of reservation. That’s why we need to understand as to who are our friends and who are our enemies.
a) Idea of Reservation belongs to Rashrapita Jyotirao Phule. This idea he presented before British first in 1869 and then in 1882.
b) Practice of Reservation was first introduced in modern India by Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj in his own kingdom from 26 July 1902.
c) Policy of Reservation was finalized through Constitution of India by Vishwaratna Mahamanav Babasaheb Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar on 26 January 1950.
1. Before everyone the idea of Reservation was presented by Rashrapita Jyotirao Phule. He did this first in 1869. Then on 19 October 1882 he presented revolutionary petition to Hunter Education commission and demanded free and compulsory education. Similarly he demanded proportionate reservation in jobs for mulnivasi people. On 2nd march 1888 in Pune introduced mulnivasi people of India in his explosive speech on the occasion of facilitation of Duke of Connaught. At time Jyotibha Phule went for the meeting in the farmers’ attire. British queen Victoria’s son Duke of Connaught was present on stage for his felicitation. Jyotiba Phule in his speech said “These who are gathered here wearing diamonds and pearls, and invaluable clothes are not the true representative of India. The real India is in the villages. It is hungry, poor, homeless, without clothes and naked. It is important to give them education. This concern be conveyed to your mother queen Victoria.” Nobody else was present at this meeting who could speak with such seriousness and fearlessness. Everyone else present was of boot-leakers variety.
Then in 1889 congress public meeting took place in Bombay. At that meeting Jyotirao Phule erected 30 foot tall farmer’s statue in front of the stage to bring about realization of farmers to congress meaning Brahmin meeting.
Jyotirao Phule placed before British government demands for the reservation for along with Marathas-Kunbis-OBC all other backward communities. Not only this, but he very strongly conveyed that our people must hold opportune and strategic positions in the administrations. Jyotirao Phule further placed demands before queen Victoria that every community must get representation proportionate to their population. While demanding proportionate representation Jytirao Phule says “In Jatis jobs be shared.”
For exactly this Dr.Ambedkar called “Adequate Representation”. This demand of Jyotrao Phule for reservations in Education and jobs was strongly opposed by Eurasian Brahmins time and again. Forefront of this opposition was Vishnushastri Chiplunkar. That’s why Rashtrapita Jyotirao Phule used to refer Eurasian Brahmins as ‘Kalam Kasai’ (Pen slaughters) and to British he used to refer as ‘Mai-Bap’ (Mother-Father).
Did Jyitirao Phule believed reservation as crutches? Beggary? No. But we the educated being far more intelligent than Jyotibha Phule began to believe reservation as crutches and beggary. This is not appropriate.
2. Practice of Reservation – implementation of reservation.
The idea of reservation is of Phule. To task to implement this idea of Phule was first undertaken by his disciple Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Majaraj.
Rajashree declared his intention of implementing 50% reservations (excluding four jatis of Brahmins, Parsi, Shenvi, Prabhu) in his Kolhapur kingdom on 26th July 1902. Out of 664 kingdoms only two kingdoms was just and fair to Mulnivasi Bhahujan Samaj : (1) Karvir (2) Baroda. Both belonged to Marathas.
Only four jatis were excluded from the 50% declaration of Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj: - (1) Brahmin (2) Shenvi (3) Prabhu (4) Parsi. Excluding these declaration was made to grant reservation rest of the mulnivasi Bhahujan samaj. This implementation is called the Practice of Reservation.
Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj was a Maratha. Besides he was a King. One can become King through tradition. But one cannot become IAS, IPS, IRS, IFS officer through tradition. For this one need to pass UPSC exam. This was known to Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj. Because in order run the administration and carry on governance the officers of the above top cadre and educated servant class was necessity. This class of people was not available amongst mulnivasi Bhahujan samaj. That’s why 50% reservation was declared. With this practice of reservation Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj completed the unfinished task of his guru (teacher) Rashtraita Jyotirao Phule.
(a) As soon as implementation of 50% reservation for all the mulnivasis declaration was made by Rajashree Shahu Maharaj one clark from Sangli province from Patwardhan administration Adv. Ganpat Abhyankar came from Sangli to Kolhapur to meet Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj and opposed reservations. Chatrapti Shahu Maharaj was a reformer in deeds and not reformer in words. Besides he was foreign return. He understood the brahmanical plot of Adv. Ganpat Abhayankar. He took Adv. Abhayankar to the Stable where horses are tied. In the Stable there was lots of horse. All the horses were eating their food like harabras/chanas from the provided separate containers in very relaxed manner. Rajashree Shahu Maharaj and Adv.Ganpat Abhayankar was watching these horses. Just then Rajashree Shahu Maharaj ordered to open the mouths of horses and pour their food at one location on a mat. Then he ordered to untie all the horses. Adv.Ganpat Abhayankar was witnessing this scene attentively. Just when the guards untied the horses then those horses that were powerful, strong, heavy, healthy, big, full of strength, they all plunged on the food. While those horses which were weak, without strength, sick, small, miserable, isolated; they stood afar and only kept watching from far. What were they watching? Horses that were powerful, well-built, full of strength, big, heavy were not even eating properly. Then how they were eating? They were eating from mouth and from behind kicking so that no one else comes closer to the food. Then weak horse thought out. What did they think? They thought of not entering into the rush of the heavy powerful horses. Then why to enter into rush? Thinking this weak poor horses stayed far and kept watching from a distance. At this moment Rajashree Shahu Maharaj pointing towards the weak horses spoke to Adv. Ganpat Abhayankar, “Abhaynkar, what do I do with these weak horses? Shall I shoot them? I knew this would happen. That’s why I have tied each horse’s share of food to their mouth so that nobody else will put their mouth in their food. This is called ‘Reservation’.” At this Adv.Abhayankar put his head down. He got the answer to his question. Then Rajashree Shahu Maharaj said to Adv. Ganpat Abahyankar, “Abhayankar, Jatis does not exists amongst humans. They exist amongst animals. But you allied animal system to humans and I applied human system to animals.” What else Abhayankar will speak. He kept his mouth shut.
In this way second hero of reservation is Rajashree Shahu Maharaj and second Villain of reservation is Adv. Ganpat Abhyankar. Actually instead of Abhayankar he should not be called Bhayankar but Mahabhayankar.
(b) Honorable Bhaskarao Vithojirao Jadav topped metric in Bombai in 1888. Then topped in B.A. Exam of Bombay University. He then passed his M.A first class and then passed his LL.B. in 1997. Having a child of Marathas topped B.A. in Bombay University gave immense joy to the Rajashree Shahu Maharaj and he distributed sugar from the top of Elephant. In 1895 Rahashree Shahu Maharaj facilitated Bhaskar Jadhav by appointing him on top most post of his kingdom – ‘Assistant Sarsubhe’ Then Assistant Sarsubhe means today’s District Magistrate. Then Justice Mahadev Govind Ranade expressed his reactions in a letter to Raghunath Vyankaji Sabnis. In this letter Justice Ranade writes “Oh Sabnis, will this Maratha works as sharply as you and I Brahmins.” Whose reaction was this? It is of Ranade. Who was Ranade? Justice or Judge. Who can call his Justice or judge? Like this only Injustices are exists in the Judiciary – the third pillar of the democracy. How are we going to get justice? Kalelkar, Prasad, Baput, Saraf …. Will all this Injustices give us justice? Let’s see one example of how just is Justice Mahadev Govind Ranade. One he was widowed. His wife died. In his house there as his widow sister. That time Rashtrapita Jyotirao Phule met him and said, “Ranade, you believe yourself great social reformer. Now the opportunity to become truly great social reformer has walked up to you.” Ranade replied, “Which opportunity?” Then Rashrapita Jyotirao Phule answered him, “You are a widower yourself. So you marry one widow and you get your widow sister at home to a widower.” Ranade listened to the suggestion of Jyotibha. But he heard it only 50%. At the age of 32 he married a girl of 9 years and he kept his widow sister as home as she is. One who cannot give justice to his own blood sister how can they give justice to us? To understand that these types of Eurasian Brahmins will give us justice is like to live in fool’s paradise.
(c) Once Rajashree Shahu Maharaj gave sanad to 3rd Standard Tukarambua Ganeshcharya, Matang brother to practice law. Shahu Maharaj used to endeavor to make smallest person big. He did this to stress this. Because he was genuine reformer. He was not a fake reformer. At this time entire brahmin caste rose in uproar because 3rd Standard pass Tukarambua Ganeshcharya was granted to practice law. Few brahmins came to meet Shahu Maharaj and expressed their disagreements about granting of sanad to 3rd Standard passed Tukarambua Ganeshacharya. That time Shahu Maharaj told them. “You don’t take your cases to him.” After hearing this fair faces of Brahmins turned dark. This is called reformer in deeds.
(d) Once Shahu Maharaj gave job to one Matang person in the Court. At that time all the Brahmins were working in Court. All these Brahmins did not digest the fact that one Matang should work in the Court. They decided to drive him away. They ragged him. Other Brahmins in the court office gave him separate table, separate chair, separate mat, separate glass and also separate room. Nobody was speaking to him nor was anyone telling him to do any work. No work, he only had to sit. Angry looks of Brahmins and gossips about him is what he had to tolerate. He felt miserable and was at the brink of crying. After 15 days officer meaning judge remarked in his confidential report (CR) that this Matang worker is not doing any work, he is inefficient in doing any work and recommended deduction of his 15 days salary. Rajashree Shahu Maharaj did not take this matter seriously. But then after another 15 days same remarks came about in his confidential report (CR). “That worker is not doing any work. He is not inefficient in any work. His one month’s salary must be cut and he be reduced from the job.” After reading this confidential report Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj decided to personally pay attention in this case. He conducted inquiry through intelligence agencies and found out the real reasons. After finding out the real reasons Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj issued memo to that officer. In this memo Shahu Maharaj says “As per your letter you say that this officer is inefficient and you are correct here. I felt this after conducting inquiry. But I am placing one responsibility on you; this inefficient worker you have to make efficient within 15 days otherwise your 15 days salary will be cut.” As soon as Chatrapti Shahu Maharaj’s memo reached that officers’ hands and as soon as he read it, within 15 days he wrote in the report to Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj “That worker is every efficient and he has improved tremendously.” This is called tit for tat. You need experience to do this! When you are never given experience then how are you going to have it? You never give cycle to ride and then you say he can’t ride cycle. This is a conspiracy. This type of thousands of conspiracies Eurasian Brahmins are engaging in front of us every day.
Conclusion: Reservation is not beggary, alms or crutches. It is representation. By giving reservations was Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj wished to make us beggars or handicap? Definitely not.
3. In 1918 when South Bureau commission came to India. That time Congress that was set up in 1885 had one demand. Rashtrapita Jyotiba Phule used to call this congress Brahmansabha (Assembly of Brahmins). This Assembly of Brahmins had one demand. What was it? “Give us representation in your governance-administration and if you give us representation in your governance-administration then you (British) have no need to quit India. It is acceptable if you stay in India. We have no opposition to you.” At this time on behalf of Congress Bal (Keshav) Gangadhar Tilak was demanding representation from British. Do this means Tilak and his congress was begging, asking for crutches?
In 1918 along with Tilak and Congress three more people put up demand before British for representation (to South bureau Commission).
1. Hon. Bhaskar Rao Jadhav, Maratha-Kunbi
2. Dr. B.R.Ambedkar, untouchable
3. Barrister Jinnah, Muslim
If truly Tilak and Congress was asking representation for everyone then what was the need for the three non-Brahmins to ask for separate representation? But they asked. Why? Because these three non-Brahmins had no faith on Tilak and Congress, the Brahmins and their organization. This must be kept in mind by the decedents of all the three. Because Babasaheb used to regularly say, ‘Whenever Brahmins ask for everyone it means they are asking for only themselves, this must be understood not 100% but 200%. Dr. Babasaheb further says, whenever Brahmins campaign that Nation and Dharma is in danger that time it must be understood with absolute certainty that nation and dharma is safe. Only Brahmins are in danger.’ Eurasian Brahmins has one specialty. What is the specialty? When Brahmins are in danger that time awareness of Mulnivasi Bhahujan samaj increases. The process of knowing who the friend, who is their enemy, is going on. That time Eurassian Brahmins campaign amongst mulnivasi Bhahujans that Nation and Dharma is in danger. Nations border is guarded by 16 lakh soldiers, that’s why nation cannot come in danger. India has 33 crore Gods that’s why dharma cannot come in danger. Even if dharma comes in danger then we bhahujan mulnivasis have no reason to think about it as Lord Sri Krishna will take avatar. Are we greater than Bhagwan Sri Kirshna to think when dharma is in danger? Is it not the insult to Bhagwan Sri Krishna if we think of Dharma?
Rajashri Shahu Maharaj thought out that this is an issue of representation. He asked Bhaskar Rao Jadhav to demand representation because Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj was aware. He could understand the meaning of representation. Similarly Dr.Ambedkar also understood that this was an issue of representation. That’s why he demanded before South Bureau Commission that untouchables be given representation proportionate to their population.
To the demands of these three Bal Gangadhar Tilak opposed by giving abusive language in public meetings in Athni village located between Kolhapur and Belgaum. What was the bad words used? “Teli, Tamboli and Kunbhats want to go to the Assembly to plough?” This means that Bal (Keshav) Gangadhar Tilak did not wish to see non-brahmins entering assembly. This means that Tilak wanted that only Eurassian Brahmins must enter Assembly. This fact is not known to the mulnivasi bhahujan samaj. Then, what do mulnivasi bhahujan samaj knows? “Swaraj is my birthright and I will get it.” Bhahujan children from Balwadi to Ph.d knows only this. both these sentences belongs to Tilak. These are published in newspaper called ‘Keshri’ which was Tilak was editing. Tilak was so angry about us that he expressed it by abusive language in public meeting. Even then our mulnivasi people call him ‘Lokmanya’. Truly he must be referred as ‘Bhatmanya’ or ‘Brahmanmanya’.
4. Then in 1919 First British India Act was prepared and due to opposition from Tilak and Congress the issue of representation remained incomplete. To complete this incomplete task of South Bureau Commission in 1928 one Commission under the chairmanship of Sir John Simon come to India. This is called Simon Commission. This Simon commission had visited India to grant caste based representation to SC, ST and OBCs. That’s why Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar and Advocate Shivdayal Singh Chaurasia (Tamboli) welcomed Simon commission. But Gandhi and Congress and their henchmen opposed it by displaying black flags. They shouted slogans “Go back Simon!” What is most important is that this was State Commission. It was constituted only of government representatives. It was statutory commission. It is only for government legal representatives. Even then Gandhi and Congress clarified that they are opposing this commission because there is not a single representative from India. Because of opposition from Gandhi and Congress Simon commission could not tour the entire country. They could not carry out required observations and surveys. That’s why Simon Commission had to retreat to their home country leaving the task of survey incomplete. This entire episode is about SC, ST, OBC reservation, representation and share in power.
5. Due to opposition from Gandhi and Congress to the Simon commission of 1928 the task remained incomplete. To complete this task British government called two round table conferences in 1930 and 1931. In these round table conferences Dr. Ambedkar demanded separate electorates and independent representation to the Untouchables. This faced strong opposition from Gandhi and Congress. For this purpose Gandhi started fast unto death. Gandhi never fasted even a single minute to get independence for the country. If he had to do so then we might have got the independence earlier. Gandhi launched fast unto death to prevent untouchables from getting their caste based representation/ independence. For this he dedicated his life. For this he risked his life. This means reservation is an issue of freedom and not of alms or crutches. That time Gandhi used to say “If British is going to give us freedom and if that freedom includes freedom for untouchables then we reject this freedom.” This is Father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi!! Who will call him Father of the nation and Mahatma? Father thinks of the freedom of his children and Mahatma shows mercy even to an enemy. After great struggle Dr. Ambedkar won freedom on 17th August 1932 and Gandhi opposed this freedom with his fast-unto-death and took away the rights and freedoms of untouchables granted by British. Due to Gandhi’s adamant attitude Poona Pact came in force. That’s why Separate electorates desired by Dr.Ambedkar ended, and joint electorates desired by Gandhi came in force. That’s why SC, ST candidates will have to depend upon the mercy of the higher caste for the party tickets for elections. All this took place due to Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi and his Congress. Why Gandhi did go on fast-unto-death? To prevent real fighting representatives, representatives struggling for the interest of their society of SC, ST from getting elected, Gandhi dedicated his life; he put his life at risk.
1946 elections to the Constituent Assembly took place. In this elections of Constituent Assembly Congress did all the arrangements to see that Dr.Ambedkar does not get elected. Responsibility of this arrangement was delegated to Gujarat’s iron man Sardar Patel by Nehru-Gandhi and Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Sardar Patel when asked assured to the above trio that he has made perfect arrangement to ensure that Dr. Ambedkar does not get elected to the Constituent Assembly. For this he has not only closed all the doors but also the all the windows. It is okay that he closed the doors. But why Sardar Patel closed window is not comprehensible. Perhaps he might have thought that Dr.Ambedkar is of revolting nature and that’s why he can jump into the Constituent assembly through window. That’s why he must have closed the doors of the Assembly hall. To this Congress for which we give our ‘hand’ this congress was not even giving entry to our Mahapurusha into Constituent Assembly. This means that Congress and its prodigies did not leave a single safe constituency to Dr. Ambedkar.